About the Courseware
Author: Denise Seguin, Fanshawe College
This courseware helps students learn skills they can apply immediately to accomplish projects and assignments for school and to organize, schedule, record, plan, and budget for their personal needs.
Seguin’s COMPUTER Concepts, Third Edition, provides instruction in achieving a basic understanding of the components that comprise computer hardware, system software, application software, internet connectivity and resources, social media, and the security and privacy issues related to technology.
Complete course content is delivered within Paradigm’s new Cirrus learning environment.
1. Living in a Digital World
2. Exploring the World Using the Internet
3. Computer Hardware
4. The Operating System and Utility Programs
5. Application Software
6. Using Social Media to Connect and Communicate
7. Computer Security and Privacy
Appendix A. Buying a New Computing Device
Appendix B. Wireless Networking
Cirrus is the next-generation learning solution for developing skills in Microsoft® Office and computer concepts. Cirrus seamlessly delivers complete course content in a cloud-based learning environment that puts students on the fast-track to success.
Students can access their content from any device anywhere, through a live internet connection. Cirrus is platform independent, ensuring that students get the same learning experience whether they are using PCs, Macs, or Chromebook computers.
Cirrus provides access to complete course content, delivered in a series of scheduled assignments that report to a grade book to track student progress and achievement.
- Guide and Practice Tutorials provide interactive, guided training and measured practice.
- Watch and Learn Lessons explain how to perform the chapter activities, and a short quiz allows students to check their understanding of the content.
- Hands On Activities enable students to complete the chapter activities in provided data files, compare their solutions against a model answer image, and submit their work for instructor review.
- Skills Check completion exercises assess student comprehension and recall of program features, terminology, and functions. Skills Exams evaluate student ability to complete specific tasks.
- Multiple-Choice, Completion, and Matching Concepts Exams assess student understanding of the section content.
- Essay Exams assess student understanding of chapter content in three key areas: Let’s Explore (helps students explore topics further), Job Connect (allows students to explore jobs that tie in real-life opportunities with the concepts learned), and Blog This (allows students to research topics related to the concepts learned and then post blog entries or essay responses to what they learned).
- Chapter Exams assess student understanding of the chapter content.
- Exercises and Projects provide opportunities for students to further develop and demonstrate section skills. Exercises and Projects are completed live in the Office application and are automatically scored. Detailed feedback and how-to videos help students evaluate and improve their performance.
Additional Courseware Features
- An interactive glossary provides definitions for key terms.
- Infographic visual graphics reinforce key concepts to aid in student learning and are followed by a short quiz.
- Crossword Puzzle games for each chapter aid in student learning and are followed by a short quiz.
Cirrus tracks students’ step-by-step interactions, giving instructors visibility into students’ progress and missteps.
With Exam Watch, instructors can remotely join a virtual, live, skills-based exam with students—a helpful option for struggling students who need one-to-one coaching, or for distance learners.
Accessed through Cirrus and visible only to instructors, the Instructor eResources for this courseware include the following support:
- Planning resources, such as lesson plans, teaching hints, and sample course syllabi.
- Delivery resources, such as activity answer keys and online images and templates.
- Assessment resources, including live and annotated PDF model answers for section work and review and assessment activities, rubrics for evaluating student work, and section-based exam banks in RTF format.