Exploring Electronic Health Records,
About the Courseware
Authors: Darline Foltz and Karen Lankisch
This up-to-date and approachable courseware teaches students about electronic health records across a variety of delivery systems, making it ideal for all allied health students, regardless of their career focus. To meet the needs of different types of learners, the courseware includes a wealth of images and figures; plus hands-on exercises such as interactive tutorials, assessments using a realistic EHR system, presentations, Web research, and more. New chapters address cutting-edge topics in the health information technology and allied health fields.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Overview of Electronic Health Records
Chapter 2: Content of the Health Record
Chapter 3: Introduction to Electronic Health Record Software
Chapter 4: Administrative Management
Chapter 5: Scheduling and Patient Management
Chapter 6: Privacy, Security, and Legal Aspects of the EHR
Chapter 7: Clinical Documentation and Reporting
Chapter 8: Diagnostic and Procedural Coding
Chapter 9: Practice Management, Billing, Health Insurance and Reimbursement
Chapter 10: Clinical Decision Support Systems and Quality Improvement
Chapter 11: Data Management and Analytics
Chapter 12: The Personal Health Record and the Patient Portal
Chapter 13: Implementation and Evaluation of an EHR System
- Includes access to the EHR Navigator and Navigator+. See below for additional information.
- Covers core content to prepare students for RHIT exams.
- Includes content on personal health records, patient portals, and telehealth; topics of increasing importance in health-care education.
- Includes three new chapters: Clinical Documentation and Reporting; Practice Management, Billing, Health Insurance and
Reimbursement; and Data Management and Analytics.
- Integrates soft skills and professionalism to prepare students for the workplace.
- Features a student-friendly, approachable writing style that meets students at their level to ensure content comprehension.
- Provides several types of assessment opportunities, including chapter “Checkpoints” to test recall, end-of-chapter exercises to assess objective learning and critical thinking, and software assessments that are reported to the instructor.
- A clean, easy-to-navigate page layout engages students and keeps them on track.
- Up-to-date, accurate information meets students at their level to help them learn core content.
- Engaging, two-page chapter openers provide students with fun facts about EHRs, historical background, quotations from important figures in the field, and information to prepare them for working in HIT or allied health.
- “Consider This” in-text features provide real-life scenarios and challenge students to think critically.
- “Expand Your Learning” margin features speak to digitally savvy students and integrate Internet resources and online
- “What’s the Buzz” margin features focus on hot topics in HIT and allied health.
- “Make an Impact” margin tips describe how jobs in healthcare matter.
- “Practice Professionalism” features advice on soft skills.
- “Checkpoint” in-text features provide a stopping point for students to test their learning.
- Multiple figures, flow charts, diagrams, forms, and photos aid visual learners.
- Hands-on exercises such as presentations, Web research, and EHR Navigator activities aid kinesthetic learners.
About Navigator+ and the EHR Navigator
The web-based Navigator+, learning management system helps students strengthen their understanding of core content through flashcards, live assessments, games, and quizzes. Instructors are able to assess students’ work, track progress, download results, and more using this system.
Navigator+ also includes access to the EHR Navigator. This interactive software program:
- Replicates professional practice, preparing students for work across different types of health care facilities including inpatient and outpatient.
- Gives students unlimited practice in all areas of
EHRs, including: adding and scheduling patient appointments, adding clinical data into patient charts, coding and billing, and e-prescribing.
- Grades and reports student assessment scores to instructors
Available in Navigator+, the Instructor Resources ease course management and include tools like course-planning guidelines, syllabus models, teaching hints and activities, PowerPoint presentations, answer keys, quizzes and exams, handouts and exams.