The Developmental Editor/Content Developer: Digital and Print creates accurate and engaging content for Paradigm Education Solutions in the areas of computer technology, healthcare, business technology, and career readiness. The Developmental Editor is responsible for ensuring the successful, profitable, and timely publication of integrated digital and print educational programs for Paradigm Education Solutions and JIST Publishing by working closely with authors, reviewers, and education and publishing professionals as well as with staff members in the company’s Technology, Editorial, Production, and Marketing departments. For each assigned program, the Developmental Editor is responsible for planning and designing program content and delivery methods to maximize customer satisfaction and market value; for determining optimum product organization, clarity, and accuracy; for collaborating with the Technology and Software development team to create digital components; for working closely with the Production team on editing and design; for maintaining positive author-editor relationships; and for overall program advocacy.
The Developmental Editor/Content Developer will be located in our St. Paul, MN office. Relocation assistance will not be provided.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to a digital and print publication plan that ensures the company will meet its strategic and marketing goals
- Collaborates with editorial management to develop objectives, budgets, and schedules for highly successful course-specific digital and print programs, generally including textbook content, interactive online training and assessment resources, and course management materials
- Establishes and maintains clear communication across departments and functional areas, including all stakeholders (internal and external), to ensure that the expectations and goals of those stakeholders are met or exceeded
- Collaborates with management, authors, reviewers, and other stakeholders to design and develop exemplary program components and tracks and manages digital files throughout the development process
- Develops the best editorial strategies to ensure the publication of digital and print program elements that meet or exceed the expectations of program stakeholders and customers
- Analyzes the clarity of manuscript created by content developers and the work of service providers and directs content through the drafting and revision process to meet identified pedagogical goals and market needs
- Researches and analyzes targeted audiences, competitive products, relevant software, and current best practices in education and training to identify optimal formats and methodologies for delivering, developing, and presenting textbook content, pedagogical features, and instructor and student support materials
- Provides guidelines, templates, suggestions, feedback, and other support to authors and other content developers to ensure the development of exemplary program components, including interactive training and assessment resources, print materials, and online content management systems
- Hires and supervises freelance writers, editors, testers, programmers, and other service providers, including negotiating work-for-hire contracts, creating and managing schedules and budgets, providing guidelines, reviewing submissions to ensure adherence to guidelines and to the highest quality standards, and effectively and efficiently resolving issues
- Works with the Marketing department to develop highly effective marketing collateral, including fully digital pieces (such as commercials, software training materials, and websites) as well as copy for digital and print delivery of brochures and catalogs; trains account managers and field representatives in program features
- Designs, commissions, and analyzes detailed product reviews as well as product and market surveys; collaborates with marketing and editorial management to evaluate the results and develop response plans; and implements response plans
- Leads in the development and communication of efficient processes and procedures for accomplishing department, team, and project goals, including documenting and updating process documents and style sheets
- Maintains backlist and performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, writing, education, communications, instructional design, journalism, or computer science
- Minimum of five years’ experience editing, writing, or developing manuscripts for digital or print products
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding project management skills
- Ability to create effective work flows and coordinate large, complex programs
- Strong work ethic and desire to succeed and grow in the increasingly digital field of educational publishing
- Highly competent in Microsoft Word 2013 or Microsoft Word 2016
- Working knowledge of Microsoft 2013/2016 Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat tools and PDF workflow
- Familiarity with basic web development and design
Desired Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of five years’ experience incorporating digital delivery of educational content or training materials with print delivery of same
- Good knowledge of electronic delivery options for educational materials and current digital formats, including Learning Management Systems (Blackboard, D2L, Angle, Canvas, Moodle)
- Experience teaching at the post-secondary level
- Certification in project management
- Familiarity with InDesign, HTML5, ExamView (or other assessment tools), and project management tools
No phone calls please.
Paradigm Education Solutions
is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities, Women, Veterans, Disabilities.
Paradigm Education Solutions is committed to providing Equal opportunity to all applicants. In accordance with our policies and federal law, we’re committed to provide reasonable accommodations so if you are a qualified disabled person, a disabled veteran or have other barriers to access our online application system, please contact Human Resources at 651-290-2800 to discuss alternative ways to apply for employment.