About the Courseware
Pages: 815 | Copyright: 2019
Authors: Ruth A. Berger, RHIA, and Sharon Y. McBride, CPC, CPCO
This up-to-date, in-depth, and engaging courseware gives
students the information and skills they need to understand
Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) coding. Clear and concise anatomy and physiology examples and practice
coding exercises guide students in learning the skills required to become a CPT® coder.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Coding
2. Getting to Know CPT®
3. HCPCS Coding
4. Principles of Coding and the Use of Modifiers
5. Using the Health Record to Report Codes
6. Evaluation and Management Services Coding
7. Anesthesia Coding
8. Introduction to Surgery Coding
9. Surgery Coding: Integumentary System
10. Surgery Coding: Musculoskeletal System
11. Surgery Coding: Respiratory System
12. Surgery Coding: Cardiovascular System
13. Surgery Coding: Digestive System
14. Surgery Coding: Urinary System
15. Surgery Coding: Male and Female Genital
Systems, Reproductive System Procedures,
Intersex Surgery, Maternity Care and Delivery,
and Endocrine System
16. Surgery Coding: Nervous System
17. Surgery Coding: Eye and Ocular Adnexa and
18. Radiology Coding
19. Pathology and Laboratory Coding
20. Medicine Coding
22. Healthcare Compliance
- Includes access to Paradigm’s live, web-based electronic health record application, the EHR Navigator. Based on the best features of many industry EHR systems, the EHR Navigator offers students hands-on practice and the freedom to explore this emerging technology at their own pace.
- The web-based Navigator+ learning platform to assemble all student and instructor resources in one easy-access location.
- Appealing one-page chapter openers immediately draw students into the chapter topics by piquing their interest with fun facts and a coding exercise.
- Red Flag margin alerts identify subjects requiring special attention when coding.
- Coding Clicks margin features speak to today’s digitally savvy students and
integrate Internet resources and online learning opportunities.
- Index Insider margin features guide students on how to best navigate the CPT® codebook’s Index.
- Inside the OR margin and in-text features provide insight into how specific surgeries, services, and procedures are performed.
- A&P Review margin features present tips that relate anatomy and physiology to
- Coding for CMS margin and in-text features notify students of considerations and guidelines related to Medicare and Medicaid requirements.
- Think like a Coder boxes describe real-life scenarios and challenge students to think critically.
- Practice Professionalism integrates soft skills, advising students on the importance of preparing for the workplace.
- Examples offer realistic patient scenarios and show students how to select the correct code based on the performed procedure.
- Body system illustrations help students make the connection between anatomy and physiology and coding.
- BioDigital links direct students to interact with the BioDigital Human, offering them hands-on practice exploring different body systems.
- Eye-catching photographs reinforce the text and help students to visualize coding concepts and real-world patient interactions.
- Clear and colorful diagrams and charts help students better understand crucial concepts.
- Examples of healthcare forms provide additional detail and visual reinforcement of chapter topics.
Navigator+ is a learning management system that contains the Deciphering Procedural Coding 2017 end-of-chapter activities, case studies, web projects, and assessments, as well as flashcards, quizzes, and other interactive learning opportunities designed to reinforce textbook concepts and learning objectives.
Access to the EHR Navigator is included within Navigator+. The EHR Navigator is a live software program that replicates professional practice and prepares students for today’s workplace.
In addition to course planning tools and syllabus models, the Instructor Resources, located in a protected area of Navigator+, provide chapter-specific teaching hints and answers for all end-of-chapter activities. The Instructor Resources also offer PowerPoint presentations as well as additional quizzes and exams.