Chapter 1: The History of Medical Coding and Introduction to
Coding Classification Systems
Chapter 2: Overview of Medical Nomenclature and US Coding
Chapter 3: Official ICD-10-CM/PCS Code Sets and Coding Resources
Chapter 4: Coding from the Health Record
Chapter 5: The ICD-10 CM and PCS Official Guidelines for
Coding and Reporting
Chapter 6: Structure and Content of ICD-10 Clinical
Modification Coding System
Chapter 7: Structure and Content of ICD-10 Procedure
Chapter 8: Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
Chapter 9: Neoplasms
Chapter 10: Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs
and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism
Chapter 11: Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases
Chapter 12: Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Chapter 13: Diseases of the Nervous System
Chapter 14: Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa
Chapter 15: Diseases of the Ear and Mastoid Process
Chapter 16: Diseases of the Circulatory System
Chapter 17: Diseases of the Respiratory System
Chapter 18: Diseases of the Digestive System
Chapter 19: Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue
Chapter 20: Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and
Chapter 21: Diseases of the Genitourinary System
Chapter 22: Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium
Chapter 23: Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period
Chapter 24: Congenital Malformations, Deformations, and
Chapter 25: Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical and
Laboratory Findings, Not Elsewhere Classified
Chapter 26: Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of
Chapter 27: External Causes of Morbidity
Chapter 38: Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with
Chapter 29: Software Applications in Clinical Coding
Chapter 30: Related Areas of Practice: Revenue Cycle
Management and Clinical Documentation Improvement
- Individual chapters that provide step-by-step instruction on coding with ICD-10-CM and PCS.
- Anatomy and physiology review with each body system chapter.
- Instruction on most 3-character code categories in ICD-10-CM.
- In-depth instruction on the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting.
- Procedure coding examples that identify root operations and code lookup.
- Hands-on exercises including case studies, critical thinking discussion questions, interactive tutorials, test banks, and more!
- Practice Professionalism features that integrate and highlight the importance of soft skills and professionalism in today’s coding workplace.
- End-of-chapter exercises and assessments that provide students with opportunities to review key concepts and test their recall.
Student courseware includes the Navigator+ learning management system to strengthen students’ comprehension of coding principles and provide a rich environment for coding practice. Instructors can access students’ work, track progress, download results, and more using this time-saving system.
In addition to course planning tools and syllabus models, the Instructor Resources, located in a protected area of Navigator+, provide chapter-specific teaching hints and answers for all end-of-chapter activities. The Instructor Resources also offer PowerPoint presentations as well as additional quizzes and exams.