About the Courseware
Pages: 490 (text) 341 (lab manual) | Copyright: 2017
Author: Ellyn Daugherty
Biotechnology: Science for the New Millennium, Second Edition teaches the latest concepts and hands-on lab procedures required for entry-level careers in the rapidly-growing biotechnology industry. The courseware includes:
- Thorough coverage of the concepts and processes of biotechnology research and manufacturing in the areas of pharmaceuticals, agriculture, industrial products, and instrumentation
- Discussion of genomics, bioinformatics, microarrays, and proteomics, as well as biotechnological advances in drug discovery, gene therapy, plant based pharmaceuticals, forensics, and horticulture
- Sidebars on bioethics, current events, regulations, emergent trends, and research techniques
- Substantial presentation of the business side of biotechnology, including opportunities and careers in academic, industrial, and regulatory biotechnology
New for the 2nd edition
- Revised and updated content that addresses current scientific methods and developments
- New and revised sections and projects
- Updated statistics, figures, and photographs
- New and improved laboratory activities
- Updated materials lists and lab procedures
- New online activities and websites
Biotech Careers explore career options in the exciting field
Learn to Speak Biotech teaches key terms with pronunciations and margin definitions
Thinking Like a Biotechnician places students in realistic situations and asks them to solve problems
Bioethics Activities consider implications of
biotechnological advances for individuals and society
Biotech Online web-based activities expand students’
Biotech Live activities require Web research, writing, creating charts, and hands-on lab work
The accompanying Lab Manual teaches the tools and techniques for working in a biotechnology facility.
- Addresses key topics, including protein isolation and analysis, DNA synthesis, recombinant DNA and transformations, cell culture, and DNA sequencing.
- Focuses on the strategies and methods required to design experiments, analyze the data, and apply the results, and emphasizes laboratory safety procedures, including cleanup, storage, and disposal.
- Builds problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills required in job settings.