Conference Prep 101
Author: Selena Hicks
Whether you go to conferences every year or you’re about to attend your first, it never hurts to have a few reminders about what to pack and what to do before leaving for a conference.
Remember to pack:
- your most up-to-date business cards.
- chargers and cords for all of your electronics.
- comfortable shoes—you’ll likely spend a lot of time walking throughout the conference and exhibit areas.
- extra layers of clothing—conference rooms are often chilly.
After packing all of that, don’t forget to leave extra space in your bag for swag and handouts!
Before you leave:
- Set your automated, out-of-office email response.
- Download the conference app to stay updated on conference alerts and conveniently access helpful information like floor plans, schedules, and session descriptions.
- Search for relevant conference hashtags on social media to connect with fellow attendees before the event.
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date for new connections you make during the event.
- Plan your conference objectives, such as making new connections and learning new strategies to address specific challenges.
- Identify who you want to connect with and schedule time to meet with them.
- Review the conference schedule and presentation descriptions to pre-select sessions and events you don’t want to miss.
Conferences offer great opportunities to connect with industry experts, discover new trends, and quickly gain new skills and strategies. Going to the event well prepared will help ensure you’re in the best position to make the most of your conference experience.
What other conference tips would you recommend? Share your feedback in the comments section.